Last modified: 22 July 2020
This is a statement of Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) policy on Privacy. If you require further information on the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles, please visit the following website: www.privacy.gov.au.
ARRB collects “personal information” in the form of names, business addresses and areas of technical interest, and only for the purposes of normal commercial interaction with its client organisations. Information is held on databases
(both online and locally).
1. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
“Personal information ” held by ARRB may include your name, business affiliation, business address, private address if an employee, telephone number(s), email address, bank account or credit card details, and your areas of technical interest.
ARRB does not collect “sensitive information” in the course of its business as described under section 6 of the
“Privacy Act 1988”.
All personal information collected is securely protected.
2. HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
ARRB collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly from you when you provide information by telephone or in documents such as registration forms
- Directly from you when you register online for an event, subscription package or make an enquiry through our website
- In the normal course of business for example conference/workshop attendees, newsletter subscriptions employment applications, business cards and emails
- From publicly available sources of information (IP Addresses).
address is identifiable.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information may be used to:
- Provide the products and services you require
- Provide you electronic updates on ARRB’s products and services (enabling you to unsubscribe at any time)
- Provide recruitment opportunity where agreed with a previously unsuccessful employment application
- Administer and manage employment and other business services, i.e. charging, invoicing, payroll, continuous improvement from website information.
5. WHEN WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information may be disclosed:
- Where the collection of the information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order or
- Where the information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body
- ARRB will not disclose personal information relating to a particular employee, unless the employee has given written consent to the disclosure of the information and the disclosure is in accordance with that consent
- In the course of normal business for our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Other organisations sub-contracted to provide services to us e.g. external professional conference organiser
- ARRB does provide conference delegates a list of attendees (including name, organisation and country), however delegates can opt out of this during registration.
Please note ARRB does not disclose personal information to external companies for marketing purposes
locally or internationally.
6. EMPLOYEE RECORDS EXEMPTION
The Privacy Act 1988, does not apply to current or former employment relationship between ARRB and an employee, and an employee record held by ARRB relating to the employee. ARRB however does have procedures in place to protect employee’s personal employment information per the Fair Work Act 2009. The Privacy Act does apply to information relating to job applicants and ARRB has procedures in place to ensure that all such information is held in a confidential manner..
7. HELP ARRB TO ENSURE ACCURATE INFORMATION IS MAINTAINED
ARRB takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information collected, used and disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date. We recommend that you keep ARRB up-to-date with your personal information including any changes or errors. Only ARRB employees are required to contact the HR or Finance department to update
any personal information.
All other ‘non employees’ are to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to amend your personal details stored by ARRB.
8. YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a right to access your personal information, or to request us to delete it. If you would like to do either, please let ARRB know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons. If you choose to ask ARRB not to hold your details, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require. Please contact email@example.com to amend your personal details stored by ARRB. ARRB employees have the right to access their personal information. Employees can do this through the HR department.
9. COMPLAINTS HANDLING PROCESS
ARRB has an internal complaint handling process for staff.
ARRB has an external complaint handling process –contact the Privacy Officer for further information (see details below).
10. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions regarding privacy, please contact ARRB at firstname.lastname@example.org.